Wednesday, June 17, 2015

June 18th

 
A year ago today I was on a plane to the MTC, a newly set-apart missionary who felt out of place without her tags, roaming through airports without companions, and fearing, imagining, and anticipating the 18 months ahead of her. This year has been incredible. And fast. I think the most important piece of advice that I can share with this hindsight is that every moment matters. Every instant is precious. In every second of every day you are changing--and you must consciously decide that this change will be one for the better. Seize every moment.

Esperanza is great. We are surviving the heat by drinking lots of water and juice and keeping the fans on at high speed. I´ve officially started using an umbrella for sun protection (it is kind of a laughable thing here among the missionaries because that´s how you identify the Jehovah´s Witnesses) because I don´t want skin cancer. And it´s cooler that way! (only in the temperature sense of the word, I´m afraid.)

Highlights of the week: pancakes. Lots of them. Especially the coconut banana macadamia ones. Forget birthday cakes, that´s what I want for dessert for every birthday that comes my way.

A funny moment happened in a district meeting. The district leader teases me about being nerdy a lot (it´s cool, we´re friends and it´s the truth) and during his presentation he was talking about focus when he decided to use me as an example. He said, "Hermana Anderson, what is your mind focused on when you´re playing a spor--I mean, reading a book?" My jaw dropped open and I said "I play sports too!" hahaha the whole district was laughing.

Another funny thing. We´re teaching and there´s this HUGE rat that scurries across one of the wooden poles that holds up the tin roof. I say with surprise, "wow, that is a BIG rat." and then to lighten up the situation I guess, Miguel says "Rat? Oh, that´s just Juancito." Suddenly, Melody, who was not paying any attention, heard the name "Juancito".She looked up at the ceiling, saw the rat, and a huge smile lit up her face. She shouted with glee "Juancito!" and gave him a happy wave. Melody is 5 by the way. 

Thought for this week: remember to seek the Lord´s counsel instead of seeking to counsel Him as you pray this week. When was the last time you got on your knees and sincerely asked for revelation? Gave thanks? Made a covenant? Don´t forget the power that you can access through sincere, consistent prayer.

Love you all,
Hermana Anderson

No comments:

Post a Comment